Driving growth in the economy by investing in research, development and innovation. This will be done in two ways, through investments focusing on five key markets where there is an identified competitive advantage – agri-tech, digital economy, e-health and e-wellbeing, marine technology, space and aerospace – and through support to increase innovation across all businesses in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly.
United Downs Geothermal Project
E-Health Productivity and Innovation in Cornwall (EPIC)
Acceleration Through Innovation
Debit Escrows and Smart Contracts in FinTech
Wave Hub Offshore Cable Extensions (completed)
Isles of Scilly Voucher Scheme
£23m European Funding Call – Research and Innovation in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly
Call title – Research and Innovation in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly (ref OC05R18P 0782)
Closing date – 31 October 2018
Download the call specification – Read more
Up to £23 million is now available through the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly for projects that will promote business investment in research and innovation. The funding forms part of the Cornwall and Isles of Scilly Growth Programme, delivering economic regeneration from 2014-2020.
The call invites applications which support the delivery of Priority Axis 1 of the European Regional Development Fund Operational Programme (Promoting Innovation and Research) and respond to the local development need set out in the Cornwall and Isles of Scilly Integrated Territorial Investment Strategy, in particular ‘Investment which will capitalise on Cornwall and Scilly’s strengths and unique characteristics to exploit new and emerging markets’.
This will drive growth through investment in research, development and innovation, and by supporting businesses to integrate into the supply chains of global markets where there is a significant competitive advantage.
The areas of research, development and innovation intervention that that would build upon local assets to best effect have been explored and the following key markets have been identified under the Smart Specialisation agenda for Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly:
- Digital Economy
- E-health and E-wellbeing
- Marine technology
- Space and aerospace
Proposals should demonstrate alignment with local development need and priorities including:
- Linking to the smart specialisation framework and strategic activities set out in the Cornwall and Isles of Scilly’s Research and Development and Innovation Framework
- Drawing on the Cornwall and Isles of Scilly Research and Innovation Evidence Base and Cornwall and Isles of Scilly Research and Innovation Evidence Base Appendices to ensure local strategic fit
- Developing and supporting appropriate models that encourage research and innovation to develop business opportunities in the identified growth markets
- Undertaking collaboration with centres of excellence to support growth and exploit market opportunities
- Making investments which build upon current physical and knowledge assets, maximising investments made under previous European funding programmes and addressing identified gaps in research, innovation and knowledge infrastructure
- Demonstrating how delivery will be extended to the Isles of Scilly, and remote and rural areas of Cornwall
- Contributing towards high value added and sustainable growth – to have the capacity to grow the business, increase productivity and/or generate high value and durable jobs for the local economy
- Embedding the inclusion and environmental growth strategies outlined in the Cornwall and Isles of Scilly Integrated Territorial Investment Strategy
- Applicants are encouraged to explain how they will work closely with any European Social Fund skills provision and any national skills provision to support an increase in higher level skills to underpin economic growth
Potential applicants can make use of the Access to the Programme Team who offer free specialist support for applicants and can be contacted on email@example.com / 01872 323248.
More information about how this team can help.
There are no further calls at present
To find out about future funding calls, sign up to our free funding alert service.